Skip to content Skip to footer

The RSF In Sudan Announces 72hours Truce Over The Eid Al-Fitr Celebration Amid Khartoum Fighting

Following the fight in Sudan, there has been series of calls from the United nations, including the United Nations Secretary General, Antonio Guterres and other prominent leaders for the warring factions to observe a three-day truce over Eid and allow civilians to reach safety. At least 350 people have been killed in the fighting so far.

However, Sudan’s paramilitary group Rapid Support Forces (RSF) on 20th April announced it will shortly begin a ceasefire despite continued heavy fighting with the army in the capital Khartoum.

The RSF said in a statement it would observe a 72-hour ceasefire, which would come into effect at 6am (04:00 GMT) on Friday, which marks the beginning of the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Fitr.

“The armistice coincides with the blessed Eid al-Fitr, and to open humanitarian corridors to evacuate citizens and give them the opportunity to greet their families,” the statement said.

 In the early hours of Friday, Khartoum was rocked by heavy shelling with the RSF accusing the army of staging a “sweeping attack” on the capital.

An Al Jazeera correspondent in the north of the city reported an exchange of fire between the RSF and the army a few minutes before the paramilitary’s truce was supposed to start.

There was no word from the army on whether it would observe a ceasefire.

Show CommentsClose Comments

Leave a comment