The clash at St James’ Park was a huge opportunity for Spurs to make up ground on the top four. Instead, Newcastle jumped six points ahead, with a game in hand. Fourth place Manchester United also have a six-point cushion and two games in hand.But it wasn’t just the defeat that raised questions, it was the embarrassing manner.
“There are no words to explain a performance like this,” Stellini, who was placed in temporary charge when Antonio Conte was sacked last month, said.
“The first 25 minutes were the worst I have ever seen. I hope that the system we changed to give us energy was the wrong decision. If it was that, it’s my responsibility. We played with four at the back and if this is the mistake, it’s my mistake. We have to analyse the situation now, it’s too early.”
Stellini said it is important to ‘take a breath’ before picking the bones out of what happened
“We have an important game Thursday and we have to show something different,” he added.Spurs have had considerable turmoil in recent weeks. In addition to parting company with Conte, who lashed out at the club’s mentality, they have also bid farewell to managing director of football Fabio Paratici after his ban from football activities in Italy was extended worldwide.90min reported last week that Spurs have identified revered Sevilla sporting director Monchi as a potential replacement. Scott Munn is already the new chief football officer but that role will differ from the one carried out by Paratici.