Skip to content Skip to footer

In Ogun State, Soldiers Allegedly Kill Two Brothers Accused Of Smuggling Rice

In Owode community, Yewa South Local Government Area of Ogun State, two siblings have reportedly been killed for allegedly smuggling foreign rice into the state.

The incident is reported to have happened on Sunday, 23rd October 2022 in the afternoon of. The young men were allegedly killed by operatives of the Nigerian Army.

Daily Post reports that the officers had accosted the older of the two brothers in an attempt to seize his vehicle which contained bags of foreign parboiled rice.

“In the course of an altercation between the man and the soldiers, some people called his younger brother popularly known as Saheed Elegusi. Saheed rushed to the scene and the two of them were shot dead by the soldiers. We don’t know when soldiers become customs officers,” a source who simply identified herself as Adekemi told our correspondent.

According to the reports, the soldiers allegedly fled the scene immediately after shooting the siblings as angry youths took over the streets in protest.

The mob had set bonfires on the Sango-Idiroko international road, disrupting vehicular movements for hours.

The incident was confirmed on Monday 24th October by Abimbola Oyeyemi, the Ogun State Police Public Relations Officer, who said the angry mob attacked an innocent officer of the Nigerian Air Force, killing him in retaliation.

Oyeyemi said the slain Air Force man was in uniform when he unknowingly ran into the mob who lynched him.

“Yes, the incident happened yesterday. I think it was caused by an argument between them (the two brothers) and the men of the Nigerian Army. We are still investigating.”

“But do you know that the people killed an Air Force officer who was just passing on his own? He was just going on his own, he had nothing to do with the crisis. They just mobbed him and killed him because he was in uniform.”

“Anyway, an investigation is ongoing. The Commissioner of Police has directed the Homicide section to take over the matter. The situation has been brought under control. The area is calm now. The DPO of Owode and some other policemen were able to move into the scene quickly. But unfortunately, the Air Force officer was killed.”

Show CommentsClose Comments

Leave a comment